Friday, October 25, 2013

Grocery Shopping

My first real grocery shopping experience in Australia was on Errol St, while getting money to pay rent. I went to a small grocery store sandwiched between other various shops. The first thing I noticed was the tininess! This was mostly to do with the small size of the store to begin with, but it seemed every bit of food was half the size of it's American twin. 

The second thing I noticed was how expensive everything was! Add $2-5 on every item and you have an Australian grocery store. That might be a slight exaggeration, but not by much. There isn't that much of a difference in the exchange rate!

I started in the meat area and then worked my way around the store. There was beef, pork, chicken, and kangaroo. Yep, you heard that right people. There were Kangaroo Burgers, Kangaroo Steak, and the uber catchy Kanga Bangas. (No, I do not plan on eating any of these.)


In the fruit and veggie section I also learned that Bell Peppers are "Capsicum," Grapes are "Sultana," and Green Beans just go by "Beans."

My second time buying food I went to a larger grocery store a bit farther away. The prices weren't any cheaper, but there was a bit more selection. I decided I would get ingredients to make tuna patties with corn, zucchini, and green beans. Upon finding the tuna section I faced the following problem...


There are like a million kinds of tuna here, and they are all freaking weird!! Please realize that the song "I'm Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred was playing at the moment I took this picture. I did finally hunt down some tuna in water, thankfully. I'm just not ready for Mango Chili Tuna Patties at this stage of my life.

The last thing I noticed before I left was Vegemite. Many Americans had told me the stereotype that Australian are obsessed with this stuff. I still don't know how true that is, since I have yet to see anyone eating this stuff. However, this display hints that Vegemite obsession may be a reality. 



No comments:

Post a Comment